September 1st. Through November 30th 2019
This is a yearly event and these rules/guidelines could change.
1. Must be Union County resident and is open to Union County Middle and High schools. This includes private/public school students and home-schooled students. Student should submit original work.
2. Entries are free and limited to only 2 per student.
3. Awards will be presented for the top 3 entries in each grade group, (6-8 grade) and (9-12 grade).
4. 1st. Place $25. 2nd. Place $15. 3rd. Place $10. (poetry and/or prose per grade group) plus certificates.
5. Any poetry or prose with foul language or sexual content will be rejected.
Contact the following for more information:
Barbara Johns 704-254-1243 or firstname.lastname@example.org
or our club's email address: email@example.com
**Rules subject to change for 2020.
How to Enter
1. Entries must be typed and submitted on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, 12 point font, 1 inch margins and single spaced. No hand written will be accepted. There is a 30 line limit per poem and up to 600 word limit for stories.
2. Submit 2 copies of each poem along with a cover page. The cover page that is to include.... the student author name, the name of the poem, parent's name, address, telephone number and/or email address. *(Do not put student author name on the poetry piece; ONLY on the cover page.) Also list your school name and grade you were in 2018/2019. Not your rising grade*
3. Mail entries to Union County Writers' Club, P.O. Box 496, Monroe, NC 28111
4. Deadline for entries is November 30th.
Judging: Judging will be by the Writers' Club. Our focus will be on originality, imagination and talent. Several of our members have published poetry and teach poetry. Winners and their parents will be notified by email or telephone.
Awards: The top 3 entries in each grade group will receive an award and certificate of recognition. Formal recognition of winners will be made on Sunday, February 9th 2020 at 3 PM at a special reception hosted by the club. Winners bring copies of winning entries to read. ** Location will be given later.
Sponsored yearly be Hinson Mechanical Company, Monroe
Rules of Submission: Open to North and South Carolina
2 Categories: Prose and Poetry
Submission dates: October 1 - December 31
1.Entrants must be 18 years of age and US citizen.
2.Two categories: Prose and poetry.
3.Entry fees are: $6 per story; $4 per poem or 3 poems for $10 / 2 stories for $10.
4.Cash prizes, and certificates will be awarded for first and second place for each category with honorable mention certificate given also. An award ceremony will be held (time and place determined).
5.Prose word limit is up to 1500 words.
6.Poetry may be in any form,on any subject, not longer than 60 lines.
7.Each entry must be an original work previously unpublished in a paid publication.
8.Material of explicit sexual nature is discouraged.
9.Entries that have placed first or second in last two years are not eligible. ** Winning pieces will be published in club's next anthology.
How to Enter:
1.Entries must be typed and submitted on standard 8.5 x11inch paper. Prose is to be double spaced, 12 point font, 1 inch margins and poetry single spaced.
2.Submit two (2) copies of each entry without author's name or other identifying information on entry.
3.Include a cover letter with the entry listing the author's name, address, phone number, email address and title of submitted work.
4.Multiple entries are accepted and may be listed on the same cover letter.
5.Checks are to be made out to: Union County Writers Club
Mail check along with cover letter and entries to:
Union County Writers Club
P.O. Box 496, Monroe NC 28111
6.Authors should retain copies of their submissions, (winners to read submissions at recognition event. They will not be returned.
7.Please indicate on the envelope or cover letter which category is being entered for each submission.
Judges are selected from among writing teachers, college staff members, or members of professional writing organizations. Contest winners will be notified by email and/or postal mail. Formal recognition of winners will be made on Sunday, March 8th, 2020, at 3 PM at a special reception hosted by the club. Authors will be invited to read their winning entries. Winning entries will be posted on the club's web site.
For more information email: contest chairperson, Barbara Johns at 704-254-1243 or