This is a yearly event and these rules/guidelines could change.
1. Must be Union County resident and is open to Union County Middle and High schools. This includes private/public school students and home-schooled students. Student should submit original work.
2. Entries are free and limited to only 2 per student.
3. Awards will be presented for the top 3 entries in each grade group, (6-8 grade) and (9-12 grade). 4. Any poetry with foul language or sexual content will be rejected.
5. These club members can be contacted for more information.
Barbara Johns 704.628.6143 or email@example.com
Robert Hinson (cell) 704-577-8625 or firstname.lastname@example.org
**Rules subject to change for 2017.
How to Enter
1. Entries must be typed and submitted on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, single spaced. No hand written will be accepted. There is a 30 line limit per poem.
2. Submit 2 copies of each poem along with a cover page. The cover page that is to include.... the student author name, the name of the poem, parent's name, address, telephone number and/or email address. *(Do not put student author name on the poetry piece; ONLY on the cover page.) Also list your school name and grade you were in 2016/2017. Not your rising grade*
3. Mail entries to Union County Writers' Club, P.O. Box 496, Monroe, NC 28111
4. Deadline for entries is June 30th.
Judging: Judging will be by the Writers' Club. Our focus will be on originality, imagination and talent. Several of our members have published poetry and teach poetry. Winners and their parents will be notified by email or telephone.
Awards: The top 3 entries in each grade group will receive an award and certificate of recognition. Formal recognition of winners will be made on Sunday, August 20th. at 3 PM at a special reception hosted by the club.
Rules of Submission: Open to North and South Carolina
The "Open to" area could change for next year.
Submission dates: October 1 - December 31
1.Entrants must be 18 years of age and US citizen.
2.Categories: short fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.
3.Entry fees are: $6 per story; $4 per poem or 3 poems for $10.
4.Cash prizes, and certificates will be awarded for first and second place for each catagory with honorable mention award also. An award ceremony will be held.
5.Short fiction and creative nonfiction word limit is 3,000 words.
6.Poetry may be in any form,on any subject, not longer than 40 lines.
7.Each entry must be an original work previously unpublished in a paid publication.
8.Material of explicit sexual nature is discouraged.
9.Entries that have placed first or second in last two years are not eligible. ** Winning pieces will be published in club's up coming anthology.
How to Enter:
1.Entries must be typed and submitted on standard 8.5 x11inch paper. Prose is to be double spaced and poetry single spaced.
2.Submit two (2) copies of each entry without author's name or other identifying information on entry.
3.Include a cover letter with the entry listing the author's name, address, phone number, email address and title of submitted work.
4.If you wish an email receipt acknowledge, please indicate on cover letter.
5.Multiple entries are accepted and may be listed on the same cover letter.
6.Checks are to be made out to: Union County Writers Club
Mail check along with cover letter and entries to:
Union County Writers Club
P.O. Box 496, Monroe NC 28111
7.Authors should retain copies of their submissions. They will not be returned.
8.Please indicate on the envelope or cover letter which category is being entered for each submission.
Judges are selected from among writing teachers, college staff members, or members of professional writing organizations. Contest winners will be notified by email and/or postal mail. Formal recognition of winners will be made at our Spring Literary Event and authors will be invited to read their winning entries. Winning entries will be posted on the club's web site.
For more information email: contest chairperson, Barbara Johns at
email@example.com or Darrell McCoy at firstname.lastname@example.org .
*Our Adult Literary Contest winners will be at the Spring Literary Event for 2017.*
Usually is held in late April or Early May with a invited guest who is usually a writer or publisher, editor, and or agent, who talks about his or her work and or experiences in the Literary field. If you are a writer this is an event to look forward to.